Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Spring Break in Italy

It’s a very cold and rainy evening in London. I’m finally getting around to updating. Last week was really hectic with finals looming and excitement about spring break mounting. Once we got our exams and papers out of the way we were all set to go.

The week started in Venice. It was beautiful and I’m really glad I got to see it but I was happy that we only spent one day there. It’s a pretty inefficient city considering well, the streets are water. But it was really amazing. We explored the palace, the basillica, Piazza de San Marco and took a gondala ride. Unfortunately, we missed Carnivale by one day. It’s the big celebration before Lent. The city was really quiet when we visited and I have a feeling that has to do with some Italian sized hangovers.




Next was Florence. We had a great train ride down and after some passport-losing, McDonalds-stopping nonsense we were off. Our hostel turned out to be great. They had free breakfast and dinner, the room was clean, had a computer and nice bathroom. The first day we saw the Duomo, obviously had pizza and gelato, we saw the David which was incredible and shopped around at the leather market. That night we went to a cool place for dinner and drinks and then got some bottles of wine for our walk by the river. Florence was by far my favorite city. The next morning, we headed out in the pouring rain to Pontevecchio which is a really cool bridge with a ton of luxury shops built in. We did some shopping, headed over to the Palace and finally climbed the Duomo. It was a trek but the views from the top were unbelievable.






In the morning we took a train to Rome. Our first day was spent going to Vatican City. The Vatican Museum was really cool but we just wanted to get to the Sistine Chapel. Then we got to St. Peter’s Basillica and hung out in St. Peter’s Square. Sunday we did The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Colleseum. Everything was amazing. We obviously punctuated all of our sightseeing with canolis, gelato and delicious pizzas, pasta and cappucino. It was a perfect week, except for Megan getting sick. But she was awesome and did everything in Rome. We’re trying to plan Berlin and Prague for Easter. We had a great time and am looking forward to doing more traveling.

This week I had class Monday and Tuesday. I’m taking London Urbanism and Architecture. We take field trips every class and I’m going to see a lot of really great things in London that I probably wouldn’t get to see on my own. It was really cold yesterday being outside but it was so worth it. Today, I had to go to the Victoria and Albert Museum for class and fill out some questions. Allie came with me and we ran through everything pretty quickly but I really want to go back there. Then we went down to meet one of her friends by Victoria and took a quick trip by Buckingham Palace. Then we got tea and scones which were so delicious and so perfect.


Tomorrow is the first day of my internship. I’m pretty nervous about getting started. But I am also excited. I’ll have to update more once that gets started. Talk to everyone soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment