Monday, January 11, 2010


Hi from London...

It's my second day here but I feel like it's been a lot more. I already feel very at home. I moved in yesterday and then had a lot of orientation meetings. Then I got settled in the room and went over to visit Carla and Peter. Alex and I walked and it took probably less than 15 minutes which is really nice and convenient. Then some girls and I went out to dinner at a little Italian place and to a pub for a drink. All of the bars close here really early so we got kicked out at 10:30. We tried to stay up for a while here but I was so exhausted. I think I'm going to lose weight here because we really don't eat often and when we do it isn't much. I can't make myself spend a lot of money on groceries and so food just isn't around. So I'm looking forward to that. Unfortuately, I've been perpetually dehydrated since I've been here also. I don't ever pee because I don't ever drink water. But I'm trying to be better about that. It's not worth it to buy bottled water so I've just been using the sink but it's kind of inconvenient. Yesterday felt like the absolute longest day of my life. Today I slept until 11:15 even though I had the good intentions to set an alarm for 10:30. It was a nice idea when I went to sleep but my body refused. I walked over to Carla's and we went shopping for some groceries and sheets and got my Oyster Card. It's so so nice to have her here. She's the best resource. Just as I got back Alex and I had to run downstairs and meet a group to go to Westminster Docks to go on a boat trip. It was pretty fun because the tour guide told us some good information about the sights and you got to see everything. Then the windows fogged up and you couldn't really see anything anymore. We went up to the top at the end to take pictures. It was really pretty just as the city was beginning to light up. We came home, cold and tired, and cleaned up our stuff a little. I have to shower down the hall because our shower only has one temperature. It's boiling. We put in a request but nothing's been done about it. It's also pretty cold in here all of the time. The heater in the corner doesn't produce much but as long as we keep it on high and the drapes closed it's not too bad. Tonight is pub night somewhere close that the program set up so we're going to get ready for that now. We were hoping to drink a little bit here before we go but we only have less than a bottle of wine so we'll have to do something about that soon. I'll post pictures in a minute. Tomorrow is all lectures about British culture and student life so I won't update about those because they'll probably be incredibly boring. Talk to you soon!

























No comments:

Post a Comment