Friday, May 7, 2010

How Time Can Move Both Fast and Slow Amazes Me


Well. I'm home. I flew in last night and here I am. It's surreal, to say the least. Leaving London was hard. I wasn't really ready. My last week in London was not an easy one. I was trying to really enjoy every day but I was exhausted, sick and frustrated most of the time. It was great to show my parents where I had been living and I think they really enjoyed themselves. Carla and Peter were really good to us and it was so nice to have them around. It still wasn't much like the life I was living in London before the program ended. I missed my friends and The Crofton and all of the familiar things of my semester.

... I am aware only my mom probably reads this anymore and that's only when I remind her via e-mail that I've updated. But I love my blog so I don't want to stop. Take that, internet.

I think I'm having a bit of culture shock. Part of me is so happy to be home. I'm happy to see my dog and have all my stuff where it belongs. I love the weather and the comfort of being in my own home. I feel like London never happened because it's like I came home and picked up my old life where I left off. I put all my picture frames back up today so it looks like someone actually lives in here. But this room still doesn't feel like me. I'm ordering all of my pictures from the semester now so that should help.

I was getting my nails done today and I found myself really disgusted. These women were way too tan, loud, blunt and had awful accents. I never would have noticed any of these things before but they were so amplified to me today and it made me miss how reserved and polite people were in London. Then I sat in traffic in my car for twenty minutes on Higbie Lane and I really missed London. So, being home is bittersweet I suppose. I felt like I left the new me behind in London and I need to figure out how she can survive here.

Tomorrow is my 21st birthday. I don't really make a very big deal out of birthdays but I'm unbelievably excited to get to Providence and see all of my friends again. I haven't seen Lizzie in a year. A YEAR. Unacceptable.

Here are some pictures from the week.











No comments:

Post a Comment